Hunter is a members-only skill in which players catch different animals and creatures in Runescape. Players can hunt specific creatures and obtain various rewards from them by the help of equipment’s bought from hunter stores. These stores are represented by an icon on the mini-map, throughout Gielinor.
This EZRSGOLD hunter guide will tell you everything there is to know about this skill, along with some money-making methods and the best areas to train. So, sit tight and continue reading!
Hunter Training OSRS
As players level up the Hunter skill, they gain the ability to catch creatures which award greater amounts of experience when they are caught. Levelling up the Hunter skill also allows players to lay more traps at once. Training Hunter within the Wilderness allows players to deploy an extra trap.
Always remember to bring all necessary items before you start training, as it can be very time consuming to have to run back to a bank or hunter shop.
It’s also recommended that you start or complete the quest ‘Fairytale (ii) – Cure a Queen’ to have access to the fairy rings. This will reduce the time consumption.
You can skip the early slow levels by completing the ‘Natural History Quiz’ mini-quest downstairs at the Varrock museum, which will provide you enough experience to reach level 9.
- Noose wand to track kebbits for levels 1-15.
- Bird snares if opting to catch birds for levels 1-29.
- Butterfly net & 5-20+ butterfly jars to net butterflies for levels 15-33.
- Axe and knife to deadfall trap kebbits for levels 33-47.
- Small fishing net and rope to net trap swamp lizards or salamanders, starting at level 29 or 47 respectively.
- Box trap for chinchompas, starting at level 53 (Requires completion of the ‘Eagles’ Peak’ quest)
- Weight – reducing equipment (Graceful outfit or the boots of lightness)
- Stamina potions
How do I start?
Well, you can start by completing the quest as I’ve mentioned above and then starting catching Feldip weasels till level 15. These weasels are located in the Feldip Hunter area south of Yanille (Fairy ring code a*k*s). You can hunt them with the help of a Noose wand and gain up to 48 experience per catch.
After level 15 and 30% favour in Port Piscarilius, you can dig sandworm castings with a bucket and spade to collect bucket of sandworms, and turn them in to Tynan for Piscarilius favour. Each bucket filled gets you 10 experience. This method only grants around 5,000 experience per hour. Another alternate method is by acquiring a butterfly net, butterfly jars and 2 bird snares to catch ruby harvests and copper longtails, which also offers the fastest experience from level 15-29. They are located in the Piscatoris Hunter area (Fairy ring code a*k*q), north of the Tree Gnome Stronghold. Players can gain up to around 17,000–18,000 experience per hour with this method.
At level 29, you can start hunting swamp lizards till level 43. They can be found southeast of Canifis in the Canifis Hunter area, or just north-west of Slepe. Trapping lizards requires a rope and small fishing net for each trap. Players can gain up to 20,000–25,000 experience per hour with two traps and around 40,000–45,000 experience per hour with three traps.
Once you’ve reached level 43 hunter, you can start catching spotted kebbits, and both spotted and dark kebbits at level 57 using the falconry technique. They are located in the Piscatoris falconry area east of the fairy ring (Code a*k*q). This is quite click-intensive, but provides higher experience rates than catching lizards. You can expect anywhere from 40,000 to 70,000 experience per hour, depending on your precision. At level 57 when dark kebbits become available, players can gain up to 75,000–80,000 experience per hour.
It’s better to start catching red salamanders at level 60 (Red salamander requires level 59 hunter), so that you can use up to 4 box traps and gain faster experience. They are located just South of the entrance to the Ourania Cave, and can be reached with the Ourania Teleport from the Lunar spell book (Requires 71 Magic) or by teleporting to Castle Wars and running north. Alternatively, use a spirit tree to teleport to the Khazard Battlefield and run west. Players can gain up to around 80,000–85,000 experience per hour at level 60, increasing to around 100,000–105,000 experience per hour at level 67.
From level 67-73, it is recommended that you start catching black salamanders. They are located in the Boneyard Hunter area in the Wilderness. The fastest way to get there is to teleport to the Chaos Temple with a burning amulet and run north-east, or use a games necklace and teleport to the Corporeal Beast lair. They are also located in the wilderness, but it’s not safe due to player killers. Players can gain up to around 105,000–115,000 experience per hour at level 67, increasing to around 115,000–125,000 experience per hour at level 73.
Now, the best and the fastest hunter experience in the game from level 73 onwards is catching black chinchompas. They reside in level 32-36 Wilderness and the hunting area is a popular player killing hot spot. The fastest way to get to the hunting area is by a Wilderness Obelisk from the player-owned house or east of Corporeal Beast’s cave to level 35 Wilderness and running a bit south-east (completion of hard tasks in the Wilderness Diary is strongly recommended), or using a revenant cave teleport on running south. Another option is to use a waka canoe from Edgeville to the Wilderness pond, but it requires a woodcutting level of 57. Players can gain up to around 140,000–150,000 experience per hour at level 73, and with the increase in levels, you can gain up to 230,000– 260,000 experience per hour.
Black chinchompa requires completion of the Eagles’ Peak quest to be able to set box traps.
There are also other methods for training hunter, which you can see in the ‘Hunter Levelling Guide’ section.
Chompy Bird Hunting
Chompy birds can only be killed when you have finished the ‘Big Chompy Bird Hunting’ quest and only if you’re using the Ogre composite bow or Ogre bow with Brutal arrows or ogre arrows. Bloated toads must be used as bait to catch them. These toads can be sucked up with Ogre bellows by the nearby swamp. Whenever you kill a Chompy Bird, you get a message which says, you scratch a notch on your bow for the chompy bird kill. After a minimum of 30 kills, you can wear Chompy bird hats.
When a Chompy dies, it will give you a corpse and you can pluck it to gain feathers. This will also place a Raw Chompy and some bones on the ground. If you fail to kill a Chompy bird, it will escape after a minute.
Chompys are much slower to kill on tasks than chickens, but players may wish to complete those tasks for progress made towards diary goals with the bonuses the slayer helmet provides.
They can be found on the Feldip Hills, which is located south of Yanille and south – east of the Castle Wars arena. These birds can also be found in Kanndarin, south and south – west of Castle Wars (Fairy ring code b*k*p).
Keep in mind, using melee will not be suitable to kill them. They will get scared and run away from you if you get too close.
You can also gain benefits when killing Chompy birds by completing various difficulties of the Western Provinces Diary,
- Completing the easy tasks will grant a 25% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
- Completing the medium tasks will grant a 50% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
- Completing the elite tasks will grant a 100% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
Hunter Levelling Guide
One of the passive hunter levelling method is Bird house trapping on Fossil Island, which can be done every 50 minutes. If you like passive methods, check out this AFK Money making guide. You can start using this method at level 5 hunter and make your way up to level 80/90. With this method the player sets up bird houses on Fossil Island and fills them with seeds, and waits around 50 minutes for the bird houses to fill with birds. Once the bird houses are full, the player can then empty them for Hunter experience and loot.
It is strongly recommended for the lower levels, as it is significantly better than the active training methods. At level 5, the experience gained over time accumulates to 53,000 experience per hour effectively, unbeaten by any other method available at those levels and even higher. Players who seek for the fastest Hunter experience in real time likely find it best to do bird house runs for the majority of the experience at lower levels. It is also profitable due to the bird nests, seeds, and rings they can contain.
How do you build a bird house?
It requires a clockwork and a log of the corresponding kind. Clockworks can be crafted from a steel bar at level 8 on a crafting table 2 or higher in a POH (Player-owned house). You can buy bird houses, hop seeds, and clockworks at the Grand Exchange.
Items required for doing a bird house run –
- A dig site pendant (Completion of the quest ‘Dig Site’ and ‘Bone Voyage’ is required, in order to travel to Fossil Island)
- 4 logs to build 4 of the corresponding type of bird house
- 40 hop seeds of any kind (20 if you’re using wild blood seeds)
- Extra clockwork for building a bird house while running to the next one (recommended)
How to complete a bird house run –
- Teleport to Fossil Island with the digsite pendant and run north to the mushtree.
- Use the mushtree to go to Verdant Valley. Check the eastern bird house followed by the western one, then run back to the mushtree.
- Use the mushtree to go to Mushroom Meadow. Run a bit north to check the bird house near the mushtree.
- Run south to the swamp entrance for the final bird house.
One run takes around 1 minute 15 seconds – 1 minute 30 seconds. Multiple the below experience table by 4 to get the total experience for a full run.
There is no Crafting level required to place the bird houses and there is also no Hunter level required to craft them.
These Hunter training methods are well worth looking into, because some of these are very profitable while others are more fun to engage in and bring a lot of xp.
- Crimson Swifts (Level 1-9/11)They are located in the Feldip Hunter area, south of Yanille. Crimson swifts can be caught at the beach area to the east with the help of a bird snare. Each crimson swift caught will reward 34 XP each.
- Copper Longtails (Level 9-11/15)They can be found at the Piscatoris Hunter area, you can use Piscatoris teleport to reach very close to their location. Other alternative way to reach them is by running north across the west wall of the Tree Gnome Stronghold. Every copper longtail you catch with the help of a bird snare, will provide you an experience of 61 in hunter.
- Ferrets (Level 29-43)To catch ferrets, you’ll have to complete the quest ‘Eagles’ Peak’. They are located just north – west of Eagles’ Peak and can be caught using box traps. Each catch will reward you with a hunter experience of 115.
- Tropical Wagtails (Level 19-29/33)They can also be caught using bird snares in the south – west corner of the Feldip Hunter area. The best spot to catch these specifically is located slightly north of the Hunting expert’s hut between the jungle and tropical trees. They give 95.2 experience per catch.
- Aerial Fishing (Level 35-99)For this, you’ll also need a fishing level of 43. At level 35 hunter you unlock the activity Aerial fishing, located on Molch Island in the Kingdom of Kourend. This activity will provide you split experience mostly between Hunter/Fishing, so if you’re looking to improve both the skills, aerial fishing is the perfect training method.
- Prickly Kebbits (Level 37-43)You’ll need an axe and a knife for the deadfall traps used to catch these kebbits. They can be found in the Piscatoris Hunter area. These NPCs provide 204 hunter experience each catch.
- Orange Salamanders (Level 47-59)They can be caught with the help of small fishing nets, ropes, waterskins (4) and desert clothing (Protection against the desert heat’s effect). To reach level 59 hunter, you’ll need to catch around 772 orange salamanders and gain a hunter experience of 40,000 – 50,000 per hour.
- AMAZING METHOD that gives you both hunter and fishing xp – drift net fishing. Check out our fishing guide to get more details.
- Maniacal Monkeys (Level 60-99)They are located in Kruk’s dungeon, which is a large labyrinth whose entrance is hidden under jungle grass west o Marim on Ape Atoll and can only be accessed with the completion of Monkey Madness (ii). This method offers roughly 50,000-65,000 experience per hour at level 60 and 65,000-120,000 experience per hour at 99 while not being very click intensive.
- Carnivorous Chinchompas (Level 69/80-99)Hunting carnivorous chinchompas offers good profit and relatively fast Hunter experience for players who do not wish to hunt black chinchompas in the Wilderness. You’ll have to either complete ‘Song of the Elves’ quest or the hard tasks of the ‘Western Provinces Diary’ to access any of the two hunting grounds; Gwenith Hunter area and the Red Chinchompa Hunting Ground. The fastest way to get to the Gwenith Hunter area is to use a spirit tree to Prifddinas, exiting the city north and running a bit north-east. The red chinchompa hunting ground is easily accessed by using the fairy code a*k*s and running south-west. You can expect to gain up to 95,000–100,000 experience per hour at level 70, and 110,000–115,000 at level 79. The experience rates are increased to around 140,000–150,000 experience per hour at level 80 and 160,000–170,000 experience per hour at level 90. At level 99, players can gain up to 195,000–205,000 experience per hour.
- Herbiboars (Level 80-99)After the completion of ‘Bone Voyage’ quest, you can start tracking herbiboars on Fossil Island. You can gain up to 155,000 hunter experience per hour through this method. We highly recommend you bring a herb sack, as you will get a lot of herbs. This method is also great for ironmen.
Hunter Money Making OSRS
Although red chinchompas are more popular, players can still make money off hunting grey chinchompas. A popular place to hunt them is next to the yew tree where players could set their traps and cut some yew logs for Woodcutting, Firemaking and/or Fletching experience while waiting for a trap to go off. it would be a good idea to kill one to see where it respawns so that traps can be set accordingly to surround the spot. If you’re employing the stand-and-shoot method, kill any chinchompa that dismantles a trap or wanders off, and quickly reset the trap if necessary. All in all, on average, around 225 chinchompas can be caught per hour. You can make around 175,000 to 180,000 per hour by catching grey chinchompas.
The best place to catch red chinchompas is in the red chinchompa hunting ground, which becomes available after completing hard tasks in the ‘Western Provinces Diary’. This area has many more chinchompa spawns which makes shooting chinchompas unnecessary. At level 80, players can catch around 400-450 red chinchompas depending on their speed, making the hourly profit 535,200 to 602,100. At higher levels, upwards of 560 red chinchompas can be caught per hour, making the hourly profit 749,280. However, if you’d like to skip the grind of levelling hunter and jump straight into the higher levels, check out our OSRS Power Levelling service.
Red Chinchompa Hunting
Red chinchompas are one-handed multi-target stackable Ranged weapons requiring level 55 Ranged to wield. Red chinchompas can be obtained by box trapping carnivorous chinchompas in the Feldip Hunter area. This requires 63 Hunter, and will give the player 265 Hunter experience per catch.
Another area that be accessed for red chinchompa hunting is the Gwenith hunter area, north – east of the Prifddinas. You’ll need to complete the quest ‘Song of the Elves’.
They can also be caught at the The Red chinchompa hunting ground, which is a small dungeon located south of Feldip Hills, just south of the Hunting expert, who sells the Hunter cape. The cave is guarded by another Hunting expert and will only give you entry after completing the Hard-Western Provinces Diary. The area contains 15 carnivorous chinchompas which is beneficial to those who wish to hunt red chinchompas, due to being almost always crowded by bots outside of the cave. By the way, you cannot set up a hand cannon here.
There are four different ways to get to the hunting ground,
- Feldip hills teleport and run south-west
- Fairy ring code a*k*s and run south-west
- Eagle transport system via Jungle eagle
- Spirit Tree to Feldip Hills and cross agility obstacle in Corsair Cove
Catching red chinchompas is not that easy and requires techniques.
Because this area is enclosed, players can take advantage of chinchompa spawn locations which have a wall nearby. Having a wall nearby reduces the amount of directions in which a chinchompa can travel to get away from your traps and also reduces the total number of tiles the chinchompa in question can physically move to, as they have a maximum roaming distance of 8 tiles. Players can use each other simply by being on the same world within this room. Having other players in the area, while it reduces the amount of times you will encounter the chinchompas which spawn near where the other players are positioned, it greatly reduces the time of absence of the chinchompas which spawn near you. As your chinchompas will frequently escape, they will likely and promptly be caught by other players and then respawn next to you within 2 seconds.
Red Salamander Hunting
The red salamander is a creature that can be obtained at level 59, using the Hunter skill. Once you’ve collected these salamanders, they can also be used as a weapon for range. A plus point is that they don’t stack within your inventory.
They are located north of Castle Wars, near the Ourania Altar. This hunter area is west of the Gnome-Khazard Battlefield.
One of the best spots is in the image on your right. You can also put a 4th trap after you reach level 60 and the 4th spot should only be interacted with if you feel that you’re going to go idle for a bit while waiting for the 3 main traps you’ve set up.
Hunting red salamanders requires one rope and one small fishing net per trap. The location allows for four traps to be easily managed at a time. Remember that 60 Hunter is required to have four traps set up simultaneously. To set the trap, just click the “set-trap” option on a young tree while you have the required materials (rope and a small fishing net) in your inventory. Each red salamander grants 272 experience, which is more experience than red chinchompas. Because of this, many players choose to catch red salamanders until level 80. If you’re more interested in making money than experience, switching to red chinchompas at level 63 is advisable. Red salamanders don’t generally sell well, so many players opt to just catch and release them. The closest bank is located at Castle Wars.
Private Hunting OSRS Areas
This section of the Hunter guide will tell you more about the hunting locations and the creatures that live there.
There are a couple designated Hunter areas that form a habitat housing multiple Hunter creature. These habitats are a desert, jungle, woodland and a snowy area. These Hunter areas are not the only locations in Gielinor that house Hunter creatures. There are also several other locations housing a single species. After completion of the Eagle’s Peak quest, a player can use the eagle transport system to fly an eagle from Eagles’ Peak in the woodland area to three of the other training areas: snow, jungle and desert.
Aerial, Lake Molch
Lake Molch is a large lake found just west of Great Kourend. Here, players can speak to Alry the Angler to engage in aerial fishing, a combined Fishing and Hunter activity. It requires a minimum level of 43 Fishing and 35 Hunter. Players can hunt for various fish and salamanders with a cormorant, much like falconry where players hunt kebbits with a gyr falcon.
- Bluegill (Level 35)
- Common Tench (Level 51)
- Mottled eel (Level 68)
- Great Siren (Level 87)
Aple Atoll, Kruk’s Dungeon
Kruk’s Dungeon is a large labyrinth whose entrance is hidden under jungle grass west of Marim on Ape Atoll. The dungeon is visited during Monkey Madness II to kill Kruk and sabotage Glough’s laboratory. After completing Monkey Madness II, the laboratory is destroyed and becomes a hunter training area for maniacal monkeys.
- Maniacal Monkey (Level 60)
Desert, Uzer Hunter Area
Uzer Hunter area is one of several Hunter training areas. It is located in the north-eastern Kharidian Desert, north-west of the Ruins of Uzer. The Uzer Hunter Area is a comparably small hunter area, consisting mainly of a small series of clustered rocks. A variety of creatures can be found and captured here. There are several cacti in the area, meaning that players can refill their waterskins easily.
- Golden Warbler (Level 5)
- Desert Devil (Level 13)
- Orange Salamander (Level 47)
Jungle, Feldip Hunter Area
The Feldip Jungle is one of several Hunter training areas. It is located south of the Feldip Hills.
- Crimson Swift (Level 1)
- Feldip Weasel (Level 7)
- Tropical Wagtail (Level 19)
- Spined Larupia (Level 31)
- Barb-Tailed Kebbit (level 33)
- Black Warlock (Level 45)
- Carnivorous Chinchompa (Level 63)
Karamja, Karamja Hunter Area
The Karamja Hunter area is located west of Shilo Village, on the western coast of Karamja. Players with 41 Hunter can catch horned graahks here via pitfall trapping, granting 240 experience each.
- Horned Graahk (Level 41)
Lava, Ourania Hunter Area
The Ourania Hunter area is located west of the Battlefield and north of the Observatory. Players with 59 Hunter can catch red salamanders here via net trapping, granting 272 experience each. Casting Ourania Teleport is the fastest way to reach the area; players may also teleport to the Battlefield via spirit tree and walk west.
- Red Salamander (Level 59)
Lava, Boneyard Hunter Area
The Boneyard Hunter area is located slightly south-east of the Boneyard in the Wilderness. Players with 67 Hunter can catch black salamanders here. Since this Hunter area is located in the Wilderness, an additional trap can be set in the area.
- Black Salamander (Level 67)
Snow, Rellekka Hunter Area
The Rellekka Hunter area is one of several Hunter training areas. It is located north-east of Rellekka, near the entrance to the dwarven city of Keldagrim.
- Polar Kebbit (Level 1)
- Cerulean Twitch (Level 11)
- Sapphire Glacialis (Level 25)
- Snowy Knight (Level 35)
- Sabre-Toothed Kebbit (Level 51)
- Sabre-Toothed Kyatt (Level 55)
Swamp, Canifis Hunter Area
The Canifis Hunter area is located south-east of Canifis and south of the Werewolf Agility Course. Players with 29 Hunter can catch swamp lizards here via net trapping, granting 152 experience each.
- Swamp Lizard (Level 29)
Woodland, Piscatoris Hunter Area
The Piscatoris Woodland was one of three completely new areas opened up with the Hunter update. It is used as a main Hunter area for levels 3 to 69+. It can be found south of Piscatoris Fishing Colony, west of Tree Gnome Stronghold and just north of the Eagles’ Peak. You can use the fairy ring code a*k*q.
- Common Kebbit (Level 3)
- Copper Longtail (Level 9)
- Ruby Harvest (Level 15)
- Wild Kebbit (Level 23)
- Ferret (Level 27)
- White Rabbit (Level 27)
- Prickly Kebbit (Level 37)
- Razor-Backed Kebbit (Level 49)
- Chinchompa (Level 53)
Falconry is a Hunter technique requiring 43 Hunter. The falconry technique is used to catch several kebbits. With the required Hunter level and a gyr falcon, clicking on a kebbit will send the falcon towards the kebbit. When the falcon catches the kebbit, the hunter needs to retrieve both the falcon and the drops.
- Spotted Kebbit (Level 43)
- Dark Kebbit (Level 57)
- Dashing Kebbit (Level 69)
Woodland, Kourend Woodland
- Copper Longtail (Level 9)
- Ruby Harvest (Level 15)
- Chinchompa (Level 53)
Gwenith Hunter Area
The Kourend Woodland is an area found in the southern coast of Great Kourend. It contains chinchompas to the west, ruby harvests in the centre, and copper longtails to the east. In the area where ruby harvests are found, three NPCs, Reginald, Roy jr. and a duck, are camping. In addition, in the north-western area, there is a mysterious staircase that cannot be climbed on.
- Carnivorous Chinchompa (Level 63)
Fossil Island Underwater
Underwater is a location just off the northern coast of Fossil Island. In order to enter the underwater area, a player must first travel to a small island via rowboat, located at the northern tip of the island (transportation icon Transportation icon.png). On this smaller island, a player can then select Dive on the rowboat to enter the underwater section.
- Fish Shoal (Level 44)
Mushroom Forest and Fossil Island Volcano
Mushroom Forest is a location on Fossil Island. It is home to a very large variety of flora, particularly mushrooms.
The Fossil Island Volcano is a volcanic outcrop found on the eastern coast of Fossil Island. Periodically, balls of lava will shoot out of the volcano. If one hits a player, it can inflict minor damage.
- Bird Houses (Level 5)
Mushroom Forest is a location on Fossil Island. It is home to a very large variety of flora, particularly mushrooms.
- Herbiboar (Level 80)
The Wilderness, also known as the Wild or Wildy, is a large and dangerous wasteland that makes up nearly the entirety of north-eastern Gielinor directly north of the kingdoms of Asgarnia and Misthalin.
- Black Chinchompa (Level 73)
Gielinor is the name Guthix gave to the world of RuneScape. Gielinor’s mainland comprises of the Kingdoms of Misthalin, Asgarnia, Kandarin and Morytania, the tropical island of Karamja, the Kharidian Desert, the Wilderness, the south-western ogre lands of the Feldip Hills, the hidden elven lands of Tirannwn, and the northern Fremennik Province.
And with that, we wrap up our 1-99 Hunter Guide for OSRS. Hope you’ve learnt a thing or two – good luck with your Hunter journey! By the way, if you’re looking to buy some OSRS gold Ezrsgold has got you covered 😉